Thursday, June 21, 2007

How well do you manage your time?

It's been several days since my last post. As a matter of fact, that seems to be a pattern for me, especially here in the past few months. Apparently, it seems that I have a time management problem. Basically, I am very bad at it. It may be because I wear so many hats in my daily life. I am a college student, a wife and a mother; I have a part-time job, and I am trying to run my fledgling business from my home. But, as evidenced by my infrequent posts, I am struggling to juggle all these daily tasks efficiently.

It's really funny, though. I know how to schedule my time to fit everything into a reasonably workable timetable. As advised all my life, I have to do lists, a daily planner and even important things notated on a wall calendar. Things don't always go according to plan, though. I seem to have forgotten to plan for the unplanned event, such as extra home work or the dog getting sick all over the living room carpet.

Planning is so very important if you want to run an online business. It is somewhat different if you have a brick and mortar business, because you actually physically leave the house and go to your place of business. An online business is worked from the home, however, so time management can easily become an issue.

There are several things you can do to improve your time management issues. Start by making a concrete schedule for working your business, just like a traditional job. Make appointments with yourself if necessary. Post your schedule prominently so that family members will understand that you are "not home" during this time period. And by all means, stick with your schedule whenever possible. You will find that daily tasks will be accomplished much more easily.

No comments: